Raw Vegan Key Lime Tart with Oats Crust
Today i had the pleasure to indulge by far, the B.E.S.T. Raw, Gluten Free Dessert that ticks all the healthy boxes. A part from being Raw and Gluten Free it’s: Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free, Eggs Free…it’s absolutely nourishing and tastes incredible.
It’s so fresh, refreshing, colourful and with an amazing tangy flavour that gives you that extra punch. A true summer hit! Sienna and I were literally fighting got the last crumble.
I have tried to develop this recipe according to my taste and i have to admit that although it doesn’t taste the same as the one i had this afternoon (no one shares their secret ingredient), it’s pretty sexy and extremely tasty as well…
Have a look at my ensemble and let me know your thoughts.
- 1/2 Cup raw buckwheat groats
- 1/4 Cup oats
- 1 Cup Medjool dates
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbs maple or agave syrup
- 2 cups raw cashews (soaked for at least 2 hours)
- 1/4 -1/2 cup lime juice + 1 teaspoon lime zest (depending on desired lime flavor intensity)
- 1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup or other preferred liquid sweetener)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup water (adjust according to desired consistency)
- Place the buckwheat in a food processor and process for 2-3 minutes until it becomes more like a flour, but not too fine.
- Add the oats and dates, pulse and then blend for 2-3 minutes until well mixed.
- Remove the mixture and using your fingers push down into a pie pan.
- Blend the filling ingredients together in a high-speed blender or food processor until silky smooth. Spread the filling over the crust and use a spatula or inverted knife to make the top very smooth.
- Chill the pie in the freezer for an hour, then transfer it to the fridge and let it set for another 3 hours, or overnight. Cut into slices and serve.
- Alternatively, you can make four tartlets in place of one pie.
- Cover and store the pie in the fridge for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 10. If you freeze the pie, defrost the slices in the fridge for several hours before serving.
- The recipe is a bit tart, because that’s how I like my citrus, but feel free to add more sweetener to taste if you wish.