Decadent Date Caramel
If you’ve ever wondered how to make date caramel, this is the recipe for you! Date caramel is so easy to make and extremely delicious, but there are a couple of important tricks to know before you dive in.
1. Make sure you have moist, fresh dates. If your dates are dry and hard, they won’t blend as well and will require soaking in warm water first in order to soften them. Otherwise, you won’t achieve that creamy, caramel-like consistency. So, whenever possible, look for the freshest, most sticky dates you can find.
2. In my experience, a food processor works best to get that ultra creamy, smooth texture. Blenders just require a little more time, effort and a bit more water to get things going.
Now that you have the basics down, let’s make caramel!
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup water
- splash of vanilla extract
- dash of sea salt
- Add all ingredients a food processor but the salt
- Pulse/mix on low until small bits remain. Then stream water until a paste is made. You will need to scrape the down sides and encourage it along periodically
- Be sure to only add enough water to form a paste - too much and it will be too liquidy
- Leave as is, or add a pinch of salt to enhance flavour.
- Will keep covered in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks, and often more.
- Serve it with freshly sliced apples, as a topping for your favorite raw vegan brownies or to fill raw cacao truffles.
- It also makes a wonderful natural sweetener in dishes like oatmeal and milkshakes.