What do avoid during pregnancy
- Alcohol. Alcohol has been linked to premature delivery, mental retardation, birth defects, and low birth weight babies
- Avoid drugs and smoking. Babies born to mothers who smoke weigh less on average. Doctors suspect the lower birth weight is due to restricted blood flow, which may also impair the passage of nutrients through the placenta to the baby. The carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke that enters the mother’s bloodstream also reduces the amount of oxygen that reaches the uterus. For these reasons, doctors advise pregnant women to also steer clear of secondhand smoke
- Limit your pills and medication intake unless supported by your doctor
- Limit caffeine to no more than 200 mg per day. The caffeine content in various drinks depends on the beans or leaves used and how it was prepared. An 8-ounce cup of coffee has about 150 mg of caffeine on average while black tea has typically about 80 mg. A 12-ounce glass of caffeinated soda contains anywhere from 30-60 mg of caffeine. Remember, chocolate contains caffeine — the amount of caffeine in a chocolate bar is equal to 1/4 cup of coffee.
- The use of saccharin is strongly discouraged during pregnancy because it can cross the placenta and may remain in fetal tissues. But, the use of other non-nutritive or artificial sweeteners is acceptable during pregnancy like Equal or NutraSweet. These sweeteners are considered safe in moderation so is better to talk with your health care provider about how much non-nutritive sweetener is acceptable during pregnancy
- Decrease the total amount of fat you eat to 30% or less of your total daily calories. For a person eating 2000 calories a day, this would be 65 grams of fat or less per day.
- Limit cholesterol intake to 300 mg or less per day.
- Do not eat shark, swordfish, king mackerel, or tilefish (also called white snapper), because they contain high levels of mercury.
- Avoid soft cheeses such as feta, Brie, Camembert, blue-veined, and Mexican-style cheese. These cheeses are often unpasteurized and may cause Listeria infection. There’s no need to avoid hard cheese, processed cheese, cream cheese, cottage cheese, or yogurt.
- Avoid raw fish, especially shellfish like oysters and clams and sashimi.
- Do not diet or try to lose weight during pregnancy — both you and your baby need the proper nutrients in order to be healthy. Keep in mind that you will lose some weight the first week your baby is born.
- Avoid Packaged ramen noodles. These quick-cooking noodles are packed with salt, fat, and little else.
- Avoid Soda. If you fill up on empty calories and sugar, you won’t have any room for more nutritious drinks. Low-fat milk, Vegan milk, water, and juice are better choices.
- Avoid Shelf-stable commercial lunches. Preservatives, salt, and fat make most of them a poor choice. There are some okay packaged lunch options out there, though, so check the labels!
- Avoid too many frozen prepared meals. There are some good choices out there, but many have high amounts of salt and fat. If you can’t avoid the occasional frozen meal, look for organic brands that are low in salt and fat.
- Avoid Iceberg lettuce. When it comes to lettuce, choose greens, such as romaine, that are full of fiber, A and C vitamins, folic acid, calcium and potassium. Iceberg lettuce has only trace amounts of these nutrients.
- Avoid or limit Spicy Foods: Such foods can cause complications for the mother, such as heartburn and acid reflux. This occurs more frequently in pregnant women because hormones released during pregnancy relax muscles in the digestive tract, allowing the stomach acids to rise more easily into the oesophagus, especially when lying down
If you have any problems that prevent you from eating balanced meals and gaining weight properly, you should ask your doctor for advice.
Herbal Support during Pregnancy: Pregnancy is not the time for a woman to start experimenting with herbal remedies. Herbs and herbal concoctions can exhibit powerful influence in a person’s body; a developing fetus can be even more directly (and negatively) affected.
OMG 15 days have passed since we have welcomed 2017 and yes, It has been ages since my last post, I am well aware…since March last year to be more precise (WOWWW)…. However…However… this is not without good reason. And in this instance that reason takes the unmistakable shape of Relocation with pretty much brand new everything! Brand new location, brand new flat, brand new routines, schools for the girls, brand new community, new friendships, new neighbours and everything else you can imagine. After five years of living in our beloved Apartment in Taipa and after counting endless months (more than a handle ;)) in Macau, we upped sticks to the sticks…. well to not that far…to our dear neighbour –> Hong Kong… But more about that later, Now we focus on keep going into 2017 right, we focus on keep rolling with the Resolutions, we focus on keep going recharged, rejuvenated and absolutely ready to embrace this brand new chapter of 365 pages.
The new year is the perfect time for a clean start and a new outlook on what you want to achieve this year. Whether is boosting your endurance, getting into shape or simply make more time for yourself, consider this a chance to make your brightest dreams a reality. It’s an opportunity to reflect on the past and to challenge yourself to new begginings. This is the time to Dream Big – and start the change NOW – and you don’t need to relocate like I did.
Want to clean up your diet and choose healthy foods that will also help you to drop the unwanted kgs? Conquer the clutter; over scheduling (yep, I know!!), and other unwanted obstacles that often stand in your way? Whatever your hopes and wishes are for the coming year, use the turning of the calendar to put them into action.
It all starts with you and Don’t wait for a Monday or the 1st of the Next Month. Start Now!!!
If you are new to fitness or coming back after a long layoff – it happens to all of us – turn to my special “Beginners Fitness guide for Women” which includes comprehensive workouts and an easy and affordable diet plan that you can follow. You will also find easy and yummy pre-post/post-workout snacks in our recipe menu and don’t forget to share/tag your New-Year New-You goals and accomplishments with our brand new #thebodybymari on Instagram.
Happy and Healthy New Year Everyone
Keeping your youthful looks is easy when you know how. From brain training and clever make-up application to eating mindfully and upping your collagen, these 12 quick tips will keep you on track baby.
1.Eat mindfully. Its’s not new that as we age, our metabolism slows down – which is why you can pile on the pounds more easily. The simplest way to weight management is to stop eat mindlessly. How: Turn off the TV, computer and mobile phone and put away books or magazines – when eating, just eat and pay attention to what you are eating, how much and how. Don’t overeat. Hear when your body is full and learn how to differentiate between emotional eating and true hunger. This is a great lesson for your kids too.
2. Stay Sharp. Improve your memory , speed, reaction times and other cognitive abilities with 5 minutes of online gaming. The games are fun and engaging such as matching colors and shapes and moving things around the screen.
3.Find a good face cream. As we ALL know, a good moisturiser should hydrate, nourish and protect your skin from environmental damage. Organic, Natural or botanical-packed face creams can be just as high-performing as synthetic alternatives. Weleda and Avène are two of my favourite brands
4.Drink yourself Beautiful. Collagen occurs naturally in our bodies and helps keep skin looking plump and youthful. Liquid supplements containing collagen are said to help hydrate skin , keeping it looking healthier and can be a more efficient way of ingesting the ingredients as absorption relies less on the gut as nutrients are assimilated more quickly into the bloodstreem.
5.Supplement your skin too. If you’re thinking of taking supplements, look out for these nutrients:
Vitamin B’s: these help metabolise proteins and fats and are essential for cell renewal and supple skin. Eat: Green leafy veggies and watercress
Vitamin C: an antioxidant used by your body for tissue repair and skin-firming collagen formation. Eat: Kale
Probiotics: a healthy gut equals healthy skin, so feed yours with these healthy bacterias. Eat: sourdough bread (contains lactobacillus that produces lactic acid = aids digestion), fermented foods like kefir yoghurt and sauerkraut
Vitamin E: an essential antioxidant and protector for skin. Eat: Sunflower seeds, almonds and spinach
Omega 3: proven to help reduce the body’s production of inflammatory compounds and keep skin cells flexible. Eat: 2 servings of yummy salmon, halibut, sardines or anchovies a week.
Deep inside the gut is where real ageing begins
6. Try the make-up face lift. You can lift away the years with a fresher make-up look. Try the following:
To plump:layer your skin to give a plumped-up, cushiony look to skin.Tap a small amount of day oil onto your face, avoiding the T-zone and follow by softly massaging in a pea-sized amount a day cream. Massage as you go.
To Brighten: Bright eyes are a sign of youth, so why not give yourself an instant boost by lightening and correcting under the eyes. How? Mix your concealer or foundation with a dab of day cream to soften the formula and avoid caking around the eyes.
Pop: Dust blush onto the apples of your cheeks. How: To create a “younger” appearance, dust the same blusher you use on your cheeks to just under the eye brow in your socket of your eyelid.
7. Get some light. Swap your subbed for a lighted. Light therapy facials are now a popular alternative to more invasive treatments. UV-free, LED light is claimed to repair and rejuvenate the skin and boost your mood.
8. Deepen your sleep. Sleep pushes premature ageing back. Overnight is when the body produces the most growth hormones, which aid cell and tissue repair. For long restful sleep, avoid consuming heavy rich foods at least two hours before bed, unwind with a relaxing bath and out a few drops of soothing essential oils on your pillow. If you have babies at home like myself, the trick is to go to bed if not at the same time, at least 45 minutes after put the kids in bed.I know that i will have at least 6 to 6.30hours on non-interrupted sleep (from 8pm to 2.30am – when Maya wakes up for her sleep feed). Then i sleep another 4 hours until Maya wakes up for the day…Some nights are better then others, but i try to stick to this routine as much as possible.
9. Check your DNA. Matching your skincare to your genetics might sound too sci-fi but this is no futuristic fantasy. DNA profiling your skin is said to identify what predispositions are present in skin, such as whether it’s susceptible to faster or slower breakdown of collagen. Then, the appropriate skincare with the right ingredients mix and concentration is prescribed.
10. Do Yoga for your age. Traditional Yoga prescribes different practices to keep you at your best in different stages of life. In your twenties, for example, your body naturally demands a physical, dynamic and fast-flowing practice to loosen the body and help you burn off adrenal glands, which will simply get you fired up and may not complement an already demanding schedule. You still want a strong practice, but one that helps to balance and maintain your wellness. By choosing a slower practice and changing the focus from doing to being, you may feel some of yoga’s profound benefits as it starts to work on a parasympathetic level.
Tune in to your breath and how your body is breathing and you’ll start to feel more grounded, while awareness areas of the brain light up, heart rate goes down, brain activity gets quieter and emotions are more balanced.
Over time, this means less of the stress hormone cortisol, which can accelerate ageing, and you may even find challenges in daily life easier to manage.
11. Halt hair ageing. Greys, dryness and lack of shine can all mean your hair is struggling with AGE. Please invest in a good shampoo like herb ones, Oils silicone-free to smooth end and add shine. These oils, will nourish hair, seal ends and de-frizz. Choose those with plant extracts and natural oils only.
12. Sculpt your face. If you buy one thing to enhance your graceful-ageing efforts, make it the Lift&Sculpt Butterfly Stone – you can order online. By using the contours of the rose quartz stone, you can massage and sculpt your jawline and cheek, drain away puffiness from under your eyes, lift eyebrows and help smooth away fine lines and wrinkles – WOW. It’s natural, simple and you can see the effects instantly. This product is LOVED by A Listers including Jennifer Aniston and Linda Evangelista. Its the most natural and easiest tool to use and was created by Georgia Louise.
Please start today!
We ar 8 days into the New Year Guys! 1 week + 1 day into 2016!!!!
How do you feel?How’s your energy?How’s your motivation?How’s your new Year plans and projects?
I hope you feel as excited and as happy as I am…I can’t simply wait to see what 2016 has in store for me (i know it will be BUSY), my loved ones and for you!!I’m so happy to be posting New year wishes and resolutions here in Lifestyle in Shavasana for 3 years now?!?Wow!!What a great Motivation!!!Thanks Guys!!
New Year’s Eve has always been a time for looking back to the past, and more importantly, forward to the coming year. It’s a time to reflect on the changes we want (or need) to make and resolve to follow through on those changes and each January, roughly one in three of us (including myself) resolve to better themselves in some way. A much smaller percentage of people actually make good on those resolutions. While about 75% of people stick to their goals for at least a week, less than half (46%) are still on target six months later.
It’s hard to keep up the enthusiasm months after you’ve swept up the confetti, but it’s not impossible.
I thought I’d start the new year with a blog post about the whole new year, new you thing because it’s a great time to adopt a new routine because a new year is, after all, considered a fresh start by many people – it took me 8 days to post it, even though it was written for 4 days already.
This post is to help you prepare for the year ahead so you can start the year working towards your health and fitness goals since these are the top 5 New Years Resolutions – every year – with a plan that’s sustainable – so you will be more likely to get past the end of January and still keep up the great exercise and healthy eating lifestyle.
It’s easy to think of new year, new you meaning that you need to jump in at the deep end and start hitting the gym five times a week while removing all refined sugars and processed foods from your diet forever. The usual thought is that you have to completely change your lifestyle and while it would be amazing if you could do that and stick with it, for many it’s just changing way too much in one go.
It’s likely you’ll find it easier to adjust to if you make small gradual changes instead; the reason most of us run screaming back to our old habits after a few weeks (or days) is because we tried to change too much at once.
The more you change the more you’re going to miss.
Make small changes gradually instead.
Try making small changes one step at a time – start by going to the gym (or doing whatever exercise you plan) two or three times a week, aiming to gradually increase it over time to about 30 minutes five times a week. Oh, and I can’t stress this enough…find an exercise that you enjoy doing. It doesn’t have to be running or the gym, it could be anything that keeps you active. You’ll be far more likely to stick with it if you enjoy the workout, so try a few different things and see what you like. Mix it up.
If you want to improve your healthy eating then aim to eat generally clean food. If you’re able to clean up your diet completely straight away then that’s amazing! If, however, this is the part you struggle with, take it one step at a time and aim to gradually eat less processed foods and sugary treats, choosing to eat clean instead.
It may not seem like much of an improvement (for example, when you first start) but if your diet consisted of mostly processed foods and sugary treats then it’s actually a huge improvement to even get used to 65/35 to begin with…this means eating clean food 65% of the time and treats 35%.
Take your time and allow yourself to feel comfortable before eventually working your way up to 80/20, (or 90/10 if you want) so you’re eventually eating mostly clean food (I eat 80% clean and 20% treats).
Adopting a generally healthier lifestyle doesn’t mean that you’re on a diet; it doesn’t mean that you need to strictly eat only pre-approved foods and it certainly doesn’t mean you’ve failed if you eat something that contains sugar.
The best way to approach the ‘new you’ isn’t to find the latest fad diet and attempt to survive solely on soup or smoothies, it’s to aim to make generally healthier choices. The hardest part of this process is learning to rid yourself of that horrible guilt when you eat a chocolate bar, but once you change your way of thinking and accept there is no wagon; it’s just a generally healthier lifestyle, you’ll wish you’d made that change years ago.
Make being healthy your main goal and, trust me, you’ll soon notice improvements.
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask for my advice.
Here’s to a Happy and Healthy New Year!
We’ve seen how to Detox the Mind. Now we focus on how to Detox your Soul.
Have a look at these simple instructions below…No need to “try” them all at once, but be mindful and be open to a change!!Try to change one at a time and be patient with yourself…
1. CLEAN UP
To deepen our practice, we must physically and emotionally create space for it to happen..and we know how difficult it is when surrounded by clutter and emotions.
After decluterring your space, put up photographs of family, friends, special moments, in order to create a feeling of happiness in your home. Hang a nice mirror on the wall to refelct light and light candles – love it! These adds warmth and comfort.
Now that your environment is organized and peacful, take time to ckear your mind.
If you are beginning, follow this simple instruction. That’s how i started:
“Find a comfotable crossed leg seated position. Light a candle and stare gently into the flame…breathing slowly through the nose.
Immerse your whole being in a feeling of loving peacfullness. Evertyme your mind/thoughts distract you, bring your focus back to the flame”.
2. THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS
Greeting with Gratitude
Gratitude is key to spiritual development and soon shifst you from stress to serenity.
Close your eyes, slow your breathing and still your mind (rememebr the candel flame).
Slowly, start sending humble thoughts of gratitude to your Superior Power. Don’t let your mind interfere.
Complaining is ungrateful and disrespectful. Try to catch yourself everytime you are about to moan – and stop yourself.
Practice daily and you will feel new levels of peacfullness within.
3. PRACTICE PEACE
Ignore your inner judge
All negative self-talk is a subtle form of violence – towards yourself and the universe. Free yourself.
When we bitch, insult someone, hate…we are adding to the darkness in the world and diminishing our spiritual light. Try your best to speak only kind, praising words. If is going to offend or hurt…don’t say it.
Forgivness is a divine quality that transmutes negative blocks, leads to healing on all levels of your being and balances your karma.
Increase your self love with a forgivness affirmation. Out loud or in your mind repead mentally “i forgive myself and all others”.
Nature is a powerful healer – yey!!!
Harness its power to keep you balanced and progressing on your path.
5. SLOW DOWN
As the indian spiritual master Meher Baba says ” A mind that is fast is sick. A mind that is slow is sound. A mind that is still is divine”.
When someone is talking to fast it’s hard to figure what they are saying. It’s the same with the Divine and us. If there’s constant chatter in our minds, we struggle to hear the guidance needed to deepen our spiritual practice.
Whatever it is that you do too fast – talk or walk or eat – consciously slow your self down. Be gentler and watch your energy.
6. HEAL AND BE HEALED
Spread the Love
Healing is a powerful frequency, it is love flowing through us from the transcendent non-physical realms. We can all heal. Sit quietly and visualise sending light to your chosen recipient.
7. PURIFY YOURSELF
Cleanse your Karma – how powerful is this?
The spiritual path is wisely viewed as a process of “cleaning up” – where we make amends for our unspiritual behavior (bad karma) by overcoming our sinful behaviors with loving ones.
8. DO YOGA!!!!!!!
We know why ;).
9. READ A GOOD BOOK
Find a new book that feeds your soul. Spend some time browsing in a bookstore and seeing what calls to you. Find a beautiful, peaceful place to relax and read.
10. GET CREATIVE
Be intent on intention
Creativity encourages a positive energy flow and deepens our fulfill connection to the unique gifts bestowed on us by the universe. Feeling stuck, on the other hand, is a sign that you’re blocking the limitless possibilities the universe wishes to bless you with.
Harness the creative of power of your mind by holding the intention to deepen and enrich your spiritual practice.
Arrow-like intentions are more powerful than wants wishes and hopes. Be sure yours are pure.
11. LOVE DEEPLY
Send good vibrations
Love is the antithesis of selfishness, jealousy and al behaviors that keep us in the illusion of separateness from the spirit of unconditional love within us. To deserve love, we must give love.
Sit comfortably, close your eyes and let your mind settle.
Imagine a loved one or someone you know is having a tough time.
As you hold them in your mind’s eye, visualize sending them loving vibrations from your heart for a few minutes.
Show your Care
Generosity and kindness are forms of love.
Give your time to help someone in need or set up a standing order to a cause close to your heart.
12. PROTECT YOURSELF
Strengthen your psyche
Help eke yourself safe from psychic attack from lower entities and other people’s negativity by closing your eyes, stilling your mind and focusing on your third eye – between your eyebrows. Visualise a clear white light surrounding you and telepathically sask the Divine to protect you.
13. BE JOUYFULL
Fantasize about Fun
Mystics say that laughter is a music to God’s ears. Before getting out of bed, sit up, close your eyes and visualize yourself dancing on a sunny beach for example!!!Feel uplifted
Turn up your favorite tune and dance around your room or house – that’s my saturday and sunday morning ritual!!
Choose to be happy and enjoy a wonderful, blissful future!